Tara M. Swartz founded Swartz Law after practicing for many years as an associate and partner at several plaintiff employment law firms in Boston. She represents employees and students at higher education institutions in all phases of litigation, including in state and federal courts, administrative proceedings, mediation, arbitration, and appeals. Her employment practice includes a wide range of cases, such as discrimination and retaliation, sexual harassment, wage and hour violations, leave violations including under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), non-competition disputes, whistleblowing, and other employment related contract and tort claims. She is well versed in the federal EEO process. In the education context, Attorney Swartz concentrates on claims of discrimination, including working with students and institutions of higher learning to develop and implement reasonable accommodation plans, and those arising out of wrongful dismissals.
Attorney Swartz has been repeatedly named a Massachusetts and New England Rising Star and Super Lawyer in the field of labor and employment. She served as the Chair of the Amicus Committee for the Massachusetts Chapter of the National Employment Lawyers Association from 2012-2014. She is a graduate of the University of Massachusetts at Amherst, where she was a full-scholarship athlete on the Women’s Gymnastics Team, and Northeastern University School of Law.
- Massachusetts, 2002
- U.S. District Court District of Massachusetts, 2002
- U.S. Court of Appeals 1st Circuit, 2003
- Northeastern University School of Law, Boston, Massachusetts.
Degree earned: Juris Doctor
- University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Massachusetts, cum laude.
Degrees earned: Bachelor of Arts in Journalism, Bachelor of Science in Sport Management
- Honors: Cum laude, Full-Scholarship Athlete Women’s Gymnastics
- Chair and Faculty, MCLE Seminar: Top 10 FMLA Situations and Solutions, March, 2015
- Panelist, Northeastern University School of Law Annual Employment Law Seminar, 2014
- Faculty, MCLE Seminar: Annual Employment Law Conference, 2013
- Faculty, MCLE Video Deposition Module: Taking a Deposition in an Employment Law Case, 2013
- Faculty, MCLE Seminar: Mastering Discovery Deposition and Summary Judgment Strategies in Employment Cases, 2012
- Co-Chair and Faculty, MBA Seminar: Ethical Issues in Employment Law, 2002
Honors and Awards
- Massachusetts and New England Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2013
- Massachusetts and New England Super Lawyers, 2014
Super Lawyers is a rating service of outstanding lawyers from more than 70 practice areas who have attained a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. The annual selections are made using a patented multiphase process that includes a statewide survey of lawyers, an independent research evaluation of candidates and peer reviews by practice area. The result is a credible, comprehensive and diverse listing of exceptional attorneys. Only 5 percent of lawyers in each state are selected to the Super Lawyers list and 2.5 percent to the Rising Stars list annually.